Support available to Carers
Wirral Council have dedicated webpages to support Wirral Carers and have recently added a Carers Online Assessment tool.
Having a break from caring will help you maintain your own health and wellbeing, have time for a social life or do something that you value that’s important to you. The person you care for may benefit from a break from the regular routine too. There may be family or friends that would be prepared to take over your caring responsibilities to enable you to take a break – so don’t be afraid to ask those around you to support you in your caring role.
Some support services are provided by independent, voluntary or third sector providers who receive funding from the Council or the Clinical Commissioning Group.
Some of these free services can be accessed directly without the need for a social services assessment - like information, advice and carers support. However, access to some other services requires an assessment to see if you are eligible for support.
The types of support that require an assessment include:
- Residential short breaks (respite)
- Care in the home
- Day care
- Shared care
Wirral Council aim to help with your caring responsibilities so you can maintain some independence and balance in your own life. This support could be:
- Information and advice about support that is available
- A referral to carer support services in the community
- A personal budget or grant to help meet some of your own needs
If the person you care for is eligible for support and they agree to receive it, the following services could be offered:
- Help in the home for the person you for
- A centre or activity for the person you care for to go to during the day
- Short breaks for the person you care for away from the home
- A personal budget to buy services for the person you care for
Please see the useful links below to access further information and online services for Carers.
Advice for Working Carers
Benefit Cap Information
General Benefit Information
Practical Support for Managing Someones Affairs
Rehab 4 Addiction offers a free helpline and intervention service for people suffering from drug addiction, alcohol addiction and mental health problems.