Wirral Connect has been awarded Lottery funding for a four year Carer Mentoring Project, which aims to work directly with Carers and Former Carers to reduce the stress and isolation felt due to their caring role, past or present.
By speaking to Carers and Former Carers and through research conducted we know that Carers and Former Carers struggle to find the appropriate help and support at the time when it is actually needed. Our Carer Mentoring Project hopes to provide exactly this form of individualised help and support. This we feel we can achieve by working with partner organisations to identify those who are struggling and for us then to work positively with those who need the help and support. Our main areas of work are:
1. Support and help:
Recruiting and training Volunteers to achieve the Level II Award in Peer Mentoring
Volunteers to progress on into a Volunteer Carer Mentoring Role
To encourage and Support our qualified Mentors in becoming active Volunteer Carer Mentors
2. Discovering the invisible Carers
Identifying Carers who are struggling with the demands of their caring role
Matching Carers with one of our Volunteer Carer Mentors who will take the time to listen and together agree and set achievable goals
3. Working with people whose caring role has come to an end for whatever reason
Supporting the Former Carers either through our Volunteer Mentors or by connecting with our bereavement support group.
Our core values are:
- We Care about supporting those who support others.
- We help people Overcome the barriers experienced from caring for someone in the past or present.
- We are Non-judgemental.
- We want people to know that they are Not alone.
- We are Empathetic and listen to people.
- We believe in Community connectivity, nurturing a sense of belonging.
- We are Tenacious in our approach, enabling and encouraging people to achieve their goals.